| Ice Fishing checklist:
Minimum to take if
you are just 'tagging along' :
- Fishing rods-Large guides, sensitive tip, with some backbone. Cost should
be about $15-$20 per rod
- Reels- Micro-spinning reel-$15-$20 per reel
- Line- 4-8 lb test ice line
- Bobber stops with beads
- Foam ice fishing bobbers-get the 'Ice Buster' brand!
- Fingernail clipper to cut line
- Ice scoop/ladle/dipper-for removing slush
- Jigs and spoons and hooks...etc.
- bait-wax worms, fatheads, crappie minnows etc...
- 5 gallon bucket to sit on
- Hand warmers
- Needle nose pliers
- Fishing License
- Proper Identification
Necessary ice fishing equipment if going alone:
- Ice auger
- Sled for auger or vehicle if the ice is thick enough.
- Bait bucket
- Small shovel-collapsable if possible
- Ice picks-could be a lifesaver!
- A compass
- Mouth spreader
- Hook sharpener
Preferred ice fishing equipment:
- Ice Shelter
- Propane heater
- Spud bar (for checking ice thickness)
- Tip-ups-preferably the freeze-free type
- Leaders for tip-ups
- Quickstrike rigs for tip-ups
- Bait for tip-ups-herring, smelt sardines, etc.
- "Glow-buster" glo-jig light. (they are new this year and pretty
- Camera (disposable works best)
- Ice cleats
- Small flashlight. (I prefer one that you wear)
- Matches or Lighter (for propane heater)
Luxury ice fishing Equipment:
- Aqua-view or underwater camera
- Two-way radios to talk to your buddies
- Strike sensors for tip-ups
Optional odds and ends:
If you take kids:
- Hand Towel
- gaff- to remove large fish
This list is as complete as I've needed for ice fishing. It never fails, though, that each time you go
out fishing, something comes to mind that you may have forgotten. With
this in mind, please consider sending that information to other ice
anglers by e-mailing me to add that item to this ice fishing checklist.
- Extra gloves
- Tissues (those noses run all the time!)
- Lot's of snacks
- A small sled to entertain them
Please e-mail me if I've forgotten anything important.
North Dakota Fishing
Red River Fishing
Devils Lake Fishing
Jamestown/ Valley City
Smaller Lakes and Rivers
North Dakota Fishing Report Archive